Not everyone has a white and bright tooth. Some people have teeth that are discolored or stained. Such people tend to have low self-esteem and confidence and avoid social occasions. They also talk less or do not smile at all, fearing the embarrassment their discolored teeth can cause. Teeth whitening is a cosmetic dental procedure that can improve the shade of your natural teeth. It removes the stains and makes your teeth look much better than before.
What is teeth whitening?
Teeth whitening is a quick and effective way of having your teeth whitened. It does not involve removing or preparing tooth surfaces for whitening your teeth. The best way to whiten teeth is to choose in-office teeth whitening procedures available at top dental offices. Even though teeth whitening kits are available for purchase from stores, they may not give you the desired results. While whitening your teeth from a dental office, you get the work done by a qualified dentist who knows how to use bleaching gels in a controlled environment.
What are the processes involved in teeth whitening?
The teeth whitening procedure comprises the below-mentioned steps.
- The dentist will have a tooth shade chart to show you the present shade of your teeth and the desired color of the natural teeth shade, which you are expected to get after completion of the procedure.
- The plaque will be removed, and the tooth will be polished using a pumice tool.
- The dentist will place a barrier to prevent the whitening agent from contacting the gums, cheeks and tongue.
- The whitening gels will be applied adequately, and the dentist will monitor the patient closely. Once the whitening agent is applied, it is left for an hour. A light activation will then be used.
- Your mouth should be rinsed once the whitening process is completed. Fluoride will be applied to get rid of any potential sensitivity.
- The dentist will then brief you about how far the teeth shades have become brighter than before. The dentist will also discuss aftercare instructions to be followed by you after leaving the dental office.
What is the duration required for teeth whitening?
A minimum of three to four weeks is required to complete teeth whitening treatment successfully. You will have to visit the dentist twice as part of the procedure. Impressions of the teeth will be taken using a mouth guard during the initial visit. The dentist will provide you with a teeth whitening product which you will have to apply for half an hour to one hour, which should be continued for at least two to four weeks. Advanced teeth whitening procedures such as laser whitening can brighten your teeth up to a maximum of six shades lighter. A rubber dam will be placed over your teeth, and the bleaching product will be applied under the dentist’s supervision and in a controlled environment. A special light will be used to activate the chemical that boosts the reaction of the whitening product.
What are the benefits of whitening the teeth?
- Reduces the discoloration in the teeth due to aging or certain medications.
- Stains that have been accumulated due to certain acidic beverages can be reduced with the help of professional teeth whitening.
- It not only improves your self-esteem and confidence but also improves the aesthetics of your teeth.
- After teeth whitening, you can often smile, reducing the signs of aging.
- It is a safe procedure and provides immediate results to the person.
What is the diet to follow after teeth whitening?
Food and beverages such as coffee, tea, soda, wine, sugar candies, and certain fruits can stain your teeth. Therefore the dentist will ask you to avoid such food. However, you can eat fish, chicken, white cheese, yogurt, rice etc. The dentist will give clear instructions regarding what to eat and which food you should avoid to get the best results after teeth whitening.
So now that you know what teeth whitening is, its various advantages and the procedure involved, you can check your eligibility with your nearest dentist. If you are looking for pearly white teeth, teeth whitening near me is the right choice.