[caption id="attachment_1578" align="alignright" width="300"]
Make better oral care one of your resolutions[/caption]
With the end of each year, people begin to think about what they might do different in the coming year. It would probably be fair to say, losing weight, quit smoking and exercising more top the list of resolution.
Now, here’s a resolution you might want to consider making even before the end of the year, when it comes to the overall dental health of your children.
Keep in mind that regardless of your child’s age, there are a few things you can do right now to minimize the time your child may need to wear braces, when the time comes.
First and foremost, watch over your child’s eating habits. Yes, most dentists warn you about the effects of too much sugar on your child’s teeth – that’s a given.
However, in addition to just what they eat, here are 6 other important signs to look for:
- Get your child to open wide and look down at their bottom teeth from a “birds eye view”. Do the same for their top teeth. Do you see crowding?
- Listen for popping sounds when they’re eating.
- Take note if they have trouble opening or closing their mouth.
- Do their front teeth protrude? Protruding teeth are typically more prone to dental injury due to sports or simply horsing around.
- Are they losing a lot of baby teeth? Have they had quite a few ‘adult’ teeth come in over the past 6 months?
- If it seems like they have too many teeth in their mouth, or they complain about their teeth hurting when they chew.
Yes, these few simple tips will help you keep an eye out for any potential issues as your child develops. If you observe any of these happening with your child, give your dentist a call and schedule an appointment to assess what’s going on and if they might need braces at this time.
In addition to this topic, we’re pleased to offer a FREE report that provides information vital to your child forming good dental habits. Why not get your copy now? Getting Started With Your Child’s Oral Health - The Parent’s Guide,
is just a click away. And it’s absolutely FREE.
Also, for more information, to make an appointment, or have a question answered, you’re more than welcome to call us at South Airdrie Smiles at 587 805 3094
or click here to visit our website